In our Plants
- 85% of our packaging is Biodegradable
or Recyclable (click to view, download or print
- Our outer case shippers are made from 100% recyclable material
using water-based glues. They are: 100% biodegradable, 100%
compostable and can be recycled up to 6
- Recycling 100% of all raw tea containers.
- Installed a dumpster to recycle metal-based materials such as
old broken pallet jacks, metal shelving, machine shop scrap
aluminum and carbon steel, tin spools and other recyclable
- Use recycling kits for used fluorescent lamps, ballasts and
- In 2011, we shred about 5 tons of used packaging to be reused
as package filler in our Direct Marketing business. This allows us
to avoid disposing of the materials and eliminates the need to
purchase new packaging material.
- Bigelow Tea cares about the environment, the community, and
wellness. Our relationship with The Idaho Foodbank hits all
three: we re-use boxes, which helps the environment, each box
that is used helps feed a hungry person from our community, and
we're proud that The Idaho Foodbank focuses on nutrition - a key
ingredient in wellness. Read
In our Offices
- Installed "single stream" recycling bins in the cafeteria to
collect metal, glass and redeemable items. This allows
employees to discard all materials (bottles, cans, papers) into one
bin, increasing the amount of materials we recycle.
- In 2012, began collecting foil overwrap from tea bags consumed
in our plant and office to be recycled for a variety of purposes,
such as manufacturing welding rods and brake pads.
- Established programs to recycle electronics equipment such as
computers and photo copiers.
- Recycled disposable batteries and replaced them with
- Recycling empty inkjet cartridges and donating to a program
called "Funding Factory Cartridge Recycling Program," allowing
teachers to use the funds raised by this program to buy computer
supplies for the children.
- Recycling old sneakers for Nike "Reuse-a-Shoe," a program that
creates playing surfaces for underserved communities.
- Implemented a program to recycle video tapes. Employees
bring old video tapes to work and the tapes are delivered to
- Conducted an Electronic Recycling Drive. Read
- Cooking oil from our Fairfield CT Cafeteria is sent to a
processing facility in Waterbury, CT where it is converted to
biodiesel fuel. Read
© 2014 R.C. Bigelow, Inc.
To order by phone, call toll free: 1-888-BIGELOW (1-888-244-3569)
Monday – Friday 9am to 5pm (EST)